Last time, I talked about FA outfielders.
So this time, let’s look at FA infielders (ignore Furcal – he ain’t coming here – and most DEFINITELY not for at least 50 mill for at least 5 years. Watch the Yanks sign him and put him in RF or something so Captain “Gold Glove” can stay put…)
(all stats from yahoo.com, espn.com and thebaseballcube.com)
(all contract info from mlbcontracts.blogspot.com)
Catchers: (note – must be BETTERN Brad Ausmus – we already got no-hit backups, so whoever would have to be a full time, like say, 120 games/ year at LEAST) Brad, by the way, just finished a 4 mill for 2 years contract.
- Alomar, Sandy TEX – um, NO
- Bako, Paul LAD – puhleeze
- Bennett, Gary WSH – OPS and OBP even worse than Ausmus – yes, it CAN happen
- Casanova, Raul CWS – even they didn’t play him
- Castillo, Alberto OAK – see Casanova
- DiFelice, Mike – NYM yeccccccchhhhhh
- Diaz, Einar STL – the backed up-est backup – he musta got maybe 10 AB last year
- Fick, Robert SD – hasn’t been a real catcher since his Tigers days 5 yers ago
- Flaherty, John – NYY – Randy Johnson’s private catcher. He staying. He also sucks (to put it nicely) – -
- Greene, Todd – COL – Club declined option for 2006 – he’s a backup who spent the last 4 years in extreme hitters parks – he’s not great, but he hits more HRs and doubls than Chavez, but he’ll be more expensive than Quintero and he’s another righty hitter.
- Hernandez, Ramon SD $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ – to put it mildly. He’s gonna get 6 or 7 mill a year for 4 or 5 years. BUT not from us.
- Hinch, A.J. PHI – Declined minor league assignment (he’s no good)
- Huckaby, Ken – TOR – Declined minor league assignment (also no good)
- Johnson, Charles – TB – puhleeze – he been outta baseball for 2 years
- LaRue, Jason – CIN Homeboy – we’ll talk about him
- Lieberthal, Mike – PHI – Club option for 2006 – well, he’s slow, can’t throw, can’t hit. nuff said
- Molina, Bengie – LAA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ – probably going to the Mets or back to the Angels
- Perez, Eddie – ATL – we already GOT 2 backups who can’t hit
- Piazza, Mike – NYM – needs to be a DH
- Pratt, Todd – PHI – we already GOT backups – his hitting numbers are almost like Brad’s except that he slugs a little better.
- Santiago, Benito – NYM he’s retired (?did he do roids???!!!!)
- Stinnett, Kelly – ARI Declined minor league assignment – yet another backup, he gonna be 36 and he hits like Brad
- Jason LaRue – Houston boy – would like to have another homie – the Reds have Javier Valentin, maybe they’ll let LaRue walk – lessee: he gonna be 32 in March, catches 110 – 120 games/ year, had his best hitting year ever last year (still not exactly Piazza 99) has lifetime .243 BA, .326 OBP, .421 SLG, .747 OPS – a little bettern Brad, but not much. He was paid 3 mill this year, 2.6 mill and 1.25 mill the 2 years before
Well, forget the 2 biggies. I would think the only guy we really might could go after is La Rue – he’ll probably be more expensive than Brad, although not real too much, and I’m not sure that the few extra XBH are really worth it.
What do yall think?
First Base (like we need another, but let’s look for utility guys)
- Anderson, Marlon – NYM – gonna be 32, does bat lefty, lifetime OPS of .694. yeccccchhhh
- Colbrunn, Greg – TEX – I think he been hurt most of the last 2 years. He was VERY good before that – lifetime OPS .799, but he is a 1B/DH, although he did play a little 3rd, but he’d really hafta be a PH and he’s a righty.
- Franco, Julio – ATL – 1B only
- Hansen, Dave – SEA – gonna be 37 in a few weeks, spent most of his career with LA as a platoon guy, 1B/ 3B, not real too impressive – had a BAD year last year with Seattle (who didn’t?)
- Hatteberg, Scott – OAK – Club declined option for 2006 (we don’t want him neither)
- Hernandez, Jose – CLE – Mr. K – had 1 good year with Milwaukee and that was a LONG time ago.
- Konerko, Paul – CWS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
-Lee, Travis – TB – 1B only
- Martinez, Tino- NYY – Club option for 2006 – ugh – they can keep him – if you can’t make it in St. Louis, we don’t wantcha neither
- Mientkiewicz, Doug – NYM – Club declined option for 2006 – 1B only
- Millar, Kevin – BOS – um, he might could think bout Japan
- Offerman, Jose- NYM – I do NOT understand how it is possible this guy keeps getting ML jobs he so bad
- Olerud, John -BOS – most likely staying there – 1B only
- Palmeiro, Rafael – BAL – the absolute STUPIDEST person to ever play baseball. Makes Rube Waddell look like a rocket scientist. He gone from baseball and I’ll bet forever. Dumbass.
- Perez, Eduardo – TB – 36 year old righty – we’ve seen him for years – 96 – 98 with Cincy then 99 – 03 with the Cards. He’s spent the last 2 years with the D-Rays. He’s an actual utility guy, plays 1st, 3rd, RF and LF. Lifetime .247 BA, .326 OBP, .429 SLG, .755 OPS. He isn’t as handy with the glove as Viz or as good with the bat as Palmeiro…
- Saenz, Olmedo – LAD – they need his bat – they ain’t got much and I think he’ll probably stay.
- Snow, J.T. – SF 1B only – good glove, too. still.
- Sweeney, Mark – SD 1B and OF – 36 YO lefty. He’s been all over, is a bench/platoon guy and is pretty good. Had a career year with the Padres in that tough pitchers park last year – .294 BA, .395 OBP, .466 SLG and .861 OPS over 221 AB. Unusual to have a career year at age 35 (I can just hear Mccain and Bunning from here) but his lifetime stats are .262 BA, .356 OBP, .404 SLG and .760 OPS. Salary $550 K and has been 400 – 500 K for several years. Worth thinking about if the Pads don’t want him back…
- Ward, Daryle – PIT bad glove, not consistent at the plate – don’t think we want him back