Well, in “exciting” Astros News -
1) Jose Vizcaino was re-signed at 1.25 mill/year
- well, guess Eric Bruntlett can go rot in AAA cuz we need that “veteran presence.” Especially because we re-signed Biggio and we hardly need three utility infielders. Actually, we’re probably gonna play Biggio in left again. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
2) Resigned Orlando Palmeiro for 800K.
- This I’m fine with, as long as he doesn’t take a spot from Jason Lane. We need outfield help fer sher.
3) Offered salary arbitration for Carlos Beltran and Roger Clemens. Note that Jeff Kent was NOT offered arbitration. (He was offered 7 mill for a one year contract with an option, but he wanted a no-trade clause and would accept less money for that and it went over like the famous lead balloon – guess no-trade clauses are gonna go the way of the dinosaur….)
Like duhhhhhhhhhhh. Carlos is most positively gonna get a nice fat contract from SOMEBODY and we sure do need our draft picks (unlike the Giants, who think draft picks are so much expensive trash) and Roger will either retire THIS time, or we will resign him, arbitration or not. So good ideas.
As for Jeff Kent – well, I know that he was NOT one of the players that Carlos Beltran specified in interviews that he wanted to see re-signed before he would consider returning. I have absolutely NO idea what Kent is really like as a person or like to work with as a teammate, but I do know that the Houston media, who seldom goes outside the party line, carefully describes Kent as a loner and surly as well as, uh, rude and intimidating to the young players. However much he demanded in salary, the no-trade clause demand made it obviously more than management wanted to pay. So I guess we will see Chris Burke or a combination or Burke/Viz/Biggio and possibly Bruntlett at second this year….
And that’s it for news. Probably for a very long while.